Friday, July 15, 2011

I heart Bilston

Milton Glaser was in the back of a yellow taxi in Manhattan when he experienced the “eureka” moment that would define his life.
It was 1977 and the American graphic designer had been asked to come up with a logo that would regenerate the fortunes of New York State. He pulled a red crayon from his pocket and began to sketch on the back of an envelope: first an “I”, then the simple outline of a heart, followed by two letters, “N” and “Y”.
Glaser’s doodle contained the germ of one of the most successful advertising campaigns of all time — so successful, in fact, that the torn envelope bearing his original idea is now in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
                                 
This leads me indirectly to my idea for my next artworks.  I don't think for one minute there is an American home with a landscape from Wolverhampton or Bilston, yet homes all over the British Isles are furnished with the Manhattan skyline, the gridiron and the Brooklyn bridge etc...

So I've decided to photograph some landmarks from Wolverhampton and the surrounding area.


These photographs will make up the background for my images.  I want to use Milton's logo I heart NY but replace the NY with motifs of drawings of iconic imagery from the Staffordshire area.  For example horse brasses and pottery etc....I have used these images in my artwork Regimental which is shown in the previous blog.  Its so great to get out of the studio for a while as you can become very isolated.  It can also be a great conversation starter as people are interested in why you are photographing buildings and landmarks.

Please send me any suggestions for landmarks in the surrounding area to white.tree3@yahoo.co.uk









.



No comments:

Post a Comment