Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Research Matters




At times when I have produced a series of paintings I decide to change direction and start on a new project.  This project is inspired by this photo of my grandfather who served in World War I.  He is the one lying down on the left.  I have joined a seven week course at the Wolverhampton archives where I am trying to locate his whereabouts during the war.

Like a work of art this process is proving to be a lengthy one.  I have been using the microfiche to look through Express and Star newspapers from 1918, the end of the war and working my way backwords to try and find information.  There is so much information about the war I have only managed to look through six newpapers to date.  This reminded me of films where the character finds what they are looking for in about five minutes, but in the everday use of the internet we can find information quickly and easily so this has learnt me to slow down.


                                                      Remembrance (4)

I have found a document containing my grandad's medal roll,  this is after 5 weeks of looking.  I have also found his service records on Ancestry but have to wait till next Monday to gain access to them.  After I have collated all the information together I am hoping this will bring some inspiration for my next artwork.  I have always been interested in the military uniforms and camouflage patterns. This includes the dazzle camouflage.  I am looking forward to my next collection of artwork inspired by one of the most inspirational people I ever met.



No comments:

Post a Comment